My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Den (2014)

Using the webcam approach to tell a story has a lot of problems but somehow Zachary Donohue pulls it off and makes a really frightening experience.  Melanie Papalia portrays a grad student working on a thesis where she explores the world of social media.  How connected can she become with strangers and what does this new platform say about our society and the future.  Basically an innocent study that turns into a nightmare when she stumbles upon a murderer who begins to stalk her and all her loved ones.  This is a tense little movie and if you’re willing to stretch your disbelief a tad you’ll find yourself pulled in and very much entertained.  Papalia is fantastic as the heroin and that’s saying a lot since she’s on screen pretty much ninety-five percent of the time.   I also love what this film says about our voyeuristic society and the dangers of opening ourselves up to such a dark cyber world.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment