My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft

H.P. Lovecraft’s novella, like all his work, reads like a journal entry or text book more than a work of fiction but that’s probably what makes it feel so genuine.   This work follows a science expedition to the center of the Antarctic where they discover a new world of demons and gods all of which are mentioned in the Necronomicon.  The book is a warning of this horrible place and a plea never to return.  It works on many levels because of the wild imaginary creations and the overall dread created throughout the narrative.  My only real issue is that it's sometimes repetitive.  They encounter one horrible thing and then another only to encounter something more horrible.  Obviously a classic, you should only chose to read this if you like Lovercraftian style and don't need a more traditional style for your stories. B+


No comments:

Post a Comment