My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Shinning Girls by Lauren Beukes

I didn’t know if I’d like this when I started it.  It felt like it went all over the place.   But then it really grabbed me and before I knew it I couldn’t wait to see what would happen.  The premise is a good one.  A serial killer finds a magical house that allows him to become a time traveler making it virtually impossible for anyone to find him.   That is until one of his victims, Kirby Mazrachi, survives without his knowledge and she devotes her life to find the man responsible for almost killing her.  Along for the strange ride is an older sports writer who tries to get Kirby to give up her crazy pursuit.  Again I can’t stress enough how enjoyable of a book this is.  It’s scary concept with a hero you can really root for.   Lauren Beukes demonstrates real skill as a writer and I’m looking forward to read more of her work.  A-

No comments:

Post a Comment