My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Woman (2011)

Based on the Jack Ketchum novel, which is the third part of a trilogy which I didn't know about until after watching this disturbingly wicked film, tells the story of a psychotic, father and husband country lawyer named Chris Cleek who finds a wild woman in the woods.  So he decides to take her home and chain her to his barn as a project for his family.  His abusive son is the apple not very far from the tree and his daughter the only one starting to see what's wrong with her family unit.  This is a great fun little horror film that works on so many levels it's hard to know where to start.  It's surreal, it's funny, it's gross, it's funny, it's unpredictable, satirical, and yes, it's funny.   Director Lucky McKee of the cult classic horror film May, proves he understands the genre and has a unique style that's his own.  The cast is pitch perfect especially Pollyanna McIntosh who plays the woman; she really goes all out and it's an unforgettable performance.  This film certainly makes me want to read the entire trilogy.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment