My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Satan's Little Helper (2003)

This horror film is like some kind of cruel joke that keeps on going and you want to laugh (and you do) but at some point it's hard to find it funny anymore.  This isn't a bad thing for a horror film and in fact I applaud director/ writer Jeff Lieberman for coming up with such an evil little movie.   In the tradition of mistaken identity comedies, a twenty something college student named Jenna, played by Katheryn Winnick, gets her little brother's deranged masked murderer mistaken as her boyfriend.  Her little brother Dougie is a bit annoying and it's completely unbelievable that he would become so enamored by a stranger dressed up as Satan.  I get what Lieberman is doing though, making more of a statement then crafting a realistic story.  It mostly works and there's enough going on here to recommend it for what it is, a dark comedy about a serial killer.  Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment