My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Hill (1965)

After watching Sidney Lumet's last film a couple days ago I decided to watch one of his earlier works, this British military drama starring Sean Connery.  The story takes place on a military detention camp for British soldiers who need to be whipped back into obedience.  One of their punishments to do this is a man-made hill that soldiers are ordered to run up and down, breaking their spirits as well as wearing out their bodies.  Is this a little cruel or is this how one makes a soldier out of a disappointment?  The film has aged well, seeming as almost as contemporary as any film made today, regardless if shot in black and white.  Sean Connery does a great job distancing himself as 007 with his performance but it's Ossie Davis who steals the show as the lone black soldier in the camp.  Certainly a lost classic film, I hope more people discover this drama.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment