My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 16, 2012

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941)

On the same DVD as the 1932 version is this inferior albeit entertaining adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's tale staring Spencer Tracey.  Director Victor Flemming does a good job using a more psychological transformation from man to monster and it is effective.  The problem is Tracey is miscast in my opinion and it's too close of a remake of the '32 film than a fresh adaptation of the novel.  Ingrid Bergman steals the show with her terrified performance.  You can see why the producers cast her in Gaslight years later.  Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment