My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Los Angeles Diaries by Jim Brown (Memoir)

This memoir is written with such raw honesty and soulfulness it is more than an account of a writer-teacher-husband-father-son-brother dealing with addiction but it's a work of art as well.  Mr. Brown could have avoided some details, but he doesn't.  He painfully paints an unflattering portrait of himself to demonstrate the destructive force of drugs.  If you want to read an engaging account of addiction and how the destroy families as well as individuals then you must read this.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment