My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Sound of My Voice (2011)

If you've seen Another Earth you know that Brit Marling is a bright new talent and this second project she did with director Zal Batmanglij is proof of her abilities.  The story is about a couple named Peter and Lorna, played by Christopher Demham and Nicole Vicius, who infiltrate a secret cult led by a woman named Maggie who claims to be from the future.  Marling plays Maggie and even though she's not the main character the power she controls over the group makes you forget sometimes.  Peter is the driving force of the plot.  While he might have intended to show the world Maggie is a fake, he starts to have doubts, especially when forced to do something he would otherwise not do.  The story does have a big gaping hole in it, a sub plot about a mysterious woman who supposedly works for the Feds, that distracts and confuses the story's logic.   I don't mind leaving some mystery for the audience, but I didn't think the script handled the ending well.  While I wish it had a more dramatic and jaw-dropping ending, it's still a very well made independent film worth checking out.  Grade: B+    

No comments:

Post a Comment