My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Kitty Foyle (1940)

The sexist beginning of this film might turn away most modern audiences, but once you get past the "History of Women" prologue (from a man's point of view of course) the story finally gets going.  Kitty Foyle has a choice: follow her passion and run away to be with her first love or stay behind and get married to the doctor who loves her.  It reminds me of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.   Be sensible or follow your heart.  Of course her first love is a wealthy young man incapable of loving her back like she deserves and it's not clear if Kitty Foyle has ever really known what her heart wants.   The plot is all a flashback as we watch her grow up and fall in love and out of love: to help the audience understand her choice at the end of the film.  Ginger Rogers won the Best Actress Oscar that year for this role.  I personally believe Joan Fontaine (Rebecca) for even Betty Davis (The Letter) should have won that year but Rogers did deliver a good performance nevertheless.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment