My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

Sidney Lumet's last film might be his best, or at least my favorite.  Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour Hoffman play brothers who becoming involved in a jewelry heist in order to get out of their own money troubles.  There's more of course, but I don't want to ruin some of the twists.  I really enjoyed this movie.  The acting was intense and complex with believability.  The direction wasn't all showy but focused, letting the drama play out instead of forcing it with odd camera shots or distracting violence.  This really is a great a drama and proof that age doesn't deteriorate an artist's ability.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment