My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)

Robert Louis Stevenson's classic story about duel personalities is given its best cinematic treatment with Fredric March playing the title roles.  Sure the makeup does seem a little racist (which was something I tried to ignore because I know the film makers intended to model the Hyde effects after prehistoric cave men; but at the same time this was a different time with less concern over the sensitives of minorities) nevertheless the effects are ground breaking.  What also impressed me was how director Rouben Mamoulian experimented with the first person point of view shot and makes it work.  Sure it's a little bit of a gimmick but he doesn't over use the technique.  I also must give a shout out at one of my favorite underrated female stars, Miriam Hopkins, who delivers the screams and the fear as the terrorized girl friend of Mr. Hyde.  Overall a great work of horror on so many levels.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment