My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

X-Men: First Class (2011)

When I heard they were making a prequel based on the origins of the X-Men I groaned.  Not because it's a bad idea but because I was still hurting from the way they ruined the X-Men franchise with X-Men United: Last Stand, a god awful film that was rushed into production for a fast buck.  Then names like Matthew Vaughn, James McAvoy, Rose Bryne and Kevin Bacon started surfacing as the talent hired for the film and my interests peaked.   What a delightful surprise, a X-Men film that's as good as the originals if not a little better.  So good in fact I hope they pretend the other X-Men films never existed and start over again with more sequels based on these X-Men incarnations.  Sure, bring back Hugh Jackman as Wolverine if you must, I don't care, but give me more from these Mutants with stories that   unfold with careful concern for character development, drama and action.  One of the best superhero films I've seen in a long time.  Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment