My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (Novel)

Mr. Frazen's first literary success was the brilliant novel The Corrections and here he returns to form with a novel that's just as entertaining and unpredictable.   From page one he sets into motion a whirling story that flows as fast as thought about Walter and Patty Berglund and the people they love, their son and daughter, their college friend become rock legend as well as a young personal assistant.   The history of their lives is jammed packed with events both comical and sad.  I'd say if you've read The Corrections and enjoyed it, you'll enjoy this one as well.   It's very similar in structure and tone with tangled love stories and well-crafted characters.   There's a reason Oprah selected this novel despite what transpired the last time she selected a book by this author, it's a solid book and a fun read.  Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment