My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Operation Crossbow (1965)

When this WWII film starts off from the point of view of the Nazis you know you've ventured into a different kind of WWII film.  In a strange way you find yourself celebrating their success as they build a rocket piloted by a brave woman test pilot.  It sets up that the villain in this film is cunning and dangerous.  The Nazis are a worthy adversary and its going to take some uncompromising heroes to defeat them.   Enter our uncompromising heroes: George Peppard, Jr, Jeremy Kemp and Tom Courtenay who go behind enemy lines to infiltrate the German factories building rockets meant to destroy England.   Yet this is not a predictable film.  In fact it keeps you on your toes and because of that I found this film a breath of fresh air.  Grade: A-

Spoiler:  Of course when writing about this film I have to comment on Sophia Loren's part.  Having seen so many films of this era, I thought I knew how it would end up.  Surprise, she's murdered.  She's murdered by the good side.   That's right no love story between Sophia and George.   Sophia isn't going to show up at the end to embrace George and give him a kiss.  They killed her, plain and simple.  You gotta love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment