My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) - Revisited

When I first saw this film I remember thinking, at least it's better than the first one, and after seeing it again after all these years I was shocked to discover that it's not that much better actually.  The story is better, but only because it's based on a better novel, and it starts off with more action (the flying car scene is pretty cool even with Rupert Grint's overacting), but it's still as boring as hell.  How do you make such a great story as stale as this one?  I know, you hire Chris Columbus to come back and attempt to make a better film.  The problem lies in a "too-faithful" adapation that drags down the cinematic effect of the film and in spreading the plot so thin that you forget in essence this is a mystery first and a wizard film second.  I should state that I don't really abhor Chris Columbus.  I have enjoyed many of his films.  I would like to see him return to comedy and experiment more with his visual technique.   In the case of the Harry Potter films he was just the wrong guy for the job.  He learned some lessons from his first attempt but nothing worthy enough to be noted.  The special effects are top notch though and I loved the spiders scene.  I only wish the plot didn't drag so much.  I always wondered if it was because I had read the book but I've talked to multiple folks who have not read the books and agreed that this one is boring.   Grade: C+.

Spoiler:  I'll admit to being awaken a bit by the final battle with the basilisk but the diary ghost of he-who-shouldn't-be-named is as tame as a gnat.  I wish he had been more menacing but he's not and it takes away from the impact of such a great twist in the plot.   Not to mention the removal of Jenny from the entire film until the end . . . what a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment