My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) -Revisited

Finally!  The producers of JK Rowling's wizarding world got it right.  When I heard that Chris Columbus was leaving the franchise to spend time with his family I celebrated.   When I heard they hired Alfonso Cuarón to direct my second favorite book of the series my heart skipped a beat and I cried.  (Okay, that's not true but you get the idea, I was very happy and relieved.)  Many thought it strange that they would hire the guy who gave us the very mature film Y Tu Mamá También to enter Hogwarts but I remembered his work from A Little Princess and knew he was the excellent choice.  Upon watching this film again after all these years it's amazing to see the difference.  It's night and day better.  The opening is fast paced and witty.  You have a talking shrunken head dangling from the mirror of the night bus for god sakes, that's awesome.   The plot moves at a suspenseful pace, creating the kind of surprises the other films never accomplished.   The third film is tighter and you can see that they decided to focus on making it more cinematic than faithful.  When Harry Potter flies on Buckbeak I got goosebumps, a scene that's not in the book but belongs in the movie.  Some might say the acting is better in this one because Daniel, Rupert and Emma were growing up and becoming used to their roles but I suspect having a better director did a lot.  Of course, streamlining the story meant cutting some details which I have no problem with except in not mentioning the makers of the Marauder's Map (something that would not have added any time whatsoever) but if that's the only weakness you can't really complain.   To sum it up, this is the first Harry Potter film that is entertaining enough to rewatch.  I'd own this film; it's that good.   Why the producers didn't invite the man who saved their franchise back to direct another one baffles me.  Was it because he was Mexican?  He'd have been the perfect choice to direct the fifth film but alas they didn't and I can only daydream.  Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment