My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Anna Christie (1930)

What's this, another movie based on a play written by an amazing playwright?  It's almost like I planned it out that way.  Here the legendary Garbo plays Anna Christie from Eugene O'Neill's play.  Anna Christie and her father, a sea captain, reunite.  Then comes her father's arch nemesis to woe her.  But what secret is Anna Christie keeping from her dark past and will the two men dueling for her affections shun her when they learn it.   Old films like these are examples of how timeless film is.   Sure it feels rustic and slow but its as engaging as ever.  I invite anyone to view this film like a time traveler and remember how films used to tell stories first and spectacle later.   Grade: B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment