My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Major Barbara (1941)

An adaptation of George Bernard Shaw's play, starring the terrific duo (from Shaw's other works) Wendy Hiller and Rex Harrison, we are introduced to two complex and interesting personalities.  Barbara, the dedicated Major of the Salvation Army whose from a wealthy family and the man who falls for her, Adolphus Cusinsj, who must prove to her family that he's worthy not just of her hand but of being the heir to the family business.  There's great social commentary on both sides of the argument and at the same time an entertaining movie.   Its themes are still as relevant as ever.  Grade: A.

Spoiler:  My favorite scene is when Barbara witnesses her beloved Salvation Army sell itself for her father's donation.   To see her strength and high morals get crushed is a devastating transformation.  What a fantastic performance!

No comments:

Post a Comment