My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) - Revisited

In anticipation of the last Harry Potter film I've decided to go back and watch Harry and friends from the very beginning, to experience their growth from children who can barely act to adults who've figured it out.   So here we go, seven films just in time before the last one arrives in the next month.

The first film is certainly the worst.  I mean, if the last film is as bad as this one then I will be extremely disappointed.   Whoever at Warner Brothers suggested that Chris Columbus direct these movies must not have watched Stepmom or Bicentennial Man.   Just because he was successful in directing Macaulay Culkin in the Home Alone movies doesn't mean he's the guy to direct a kid school movie.  Thankfully the one aspect he (or the producers) got right was the look of the film.  The special effects are pretty great (even if the Quidditch match looks clunky) and the art direction is fantastic.  I remember when I first watched the film I was taken back on the casting.  I mean they really found the perfect actors.  I only wish another director was in charge.  When the great Alan Rickman seems stiff and uninteresting you know something is wrong with the guy in the director's chair. 

I was really not looking forward to watch this film and considering skipping it.  To begin with I never really liked the first book and considered the first film's page to page "faithful" adaptation a mistake. Man, was I right.  It's so boring.  It takes 45 minutes before we get to Hogwarts and by the time it's Christmas I wanted to fast forward (but I didn't).   After falling a sleep twice and wincing at the ridiculous ending I was asking myself why did I keep watching these movies when they came out and I remembered, because I read the books, especially the second book which opened my eyes to the magic of Harry Potter.   That said, I'm dreading the second Columbus directed mess even more.  But alas, I must follow through.  Grade: C-.

No comments:

Post a Comment