My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Top Ten Best Kid-Friendly Halloween Films

Now that I’m a father I’ve been thinking of what kind of films I’m going to watch on this spooky holiday that my son is going to be able to watch (when he’s older of course). Here is a list of films but I can assume more will be made by the time my son starts watching.

10. The Witches – Roald Dahl’s book comes to life with Anjelica Huston as an evil witch.

9. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown – It’s a classic. Maybe not a full-length movie but for a kid it’s a must-see

8. Monster Squad – The classic ‘80s adventure film about a group of kids who must save the neighborhood from the original monsters, Dracula, the Mummy, the Wolf man and Frankenstein. Goodness all around.

7. The Corpse Bride – This is a wonderful after-life love story from the mind of Tim Burton.

6. Beetlejuice – It’s just dark enough to be scary but ultimately a hilarious story of a recently deceased couple trying to scare the new owners from their house. Eventually they turn to a crazy ghost to do the job for them. Of course he goes rogue on them. Michael Keaton is awesome.

5. Spirited Away – While one might not think of this Miyazaki marvel as a Halloween story but it’s pretty eerie. I mean at the beginning Chihiro’s parents become pigs. Plus there are some wonderfully strange spirits to inspire any child.

4. Frankenweenie – Wait, Tim Burton again? A boy brings his pet dog back to life. Maybe watch the original ’31 Frankenstein first but do let them see this wonderful twist on the tale.

3. Coraline – A spooky story of a girl who goes to another world to spend time with her other Mother and other Father. Based on Neil Gaiman’s book and made byHenry Selick. When I saw this I knew I was watching an instant classic.

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas – This is the perfect warm up to prepare for the upcoming holidays.

1. Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit – I love this monster-themed comedy and it’s great for kids. Maybe they’ll eat their vegetables instead of their trick or treat candy afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment