My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons (Novel)

I love Dan Simmons and while I thought this was a good book, it’s not his best. Strange enough it’s a sequel to Summer of Night with the main character Dale Stewart returning to try and write a book about what happened while he was a kid. I’ve read Summer of Night but I didn’t recall any of it. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had but it was some twenty odd years since I read that last book. There is a great feeling of disquiet about the book that is pretty spooky. I also love how damaged he is, he makes for a compelling character. In the end the writing is solid and I liked how the story flows but it didn’t leave me completely satisfied. Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment