My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan (Novel)

The vampire as an outbreak story has been done before but not through the mind of Guillermo del Toro.  Dr. Ephraim "Eph" Goodweather, a CDC advisor, inspects an airline jet that arrived at John F. Kennedy International airport with almost everyone dead.  But as he starts to uncover the truth, an old vampire is coming to take New York, it maybe too late. Chuck Hogan co-writes what is really a fun and exciting vampire horror novel. And that’s what I really like about this book: it’s actually kind of intense and scary. It has a tragic feeling about it too, as civilization unknowingly begins its collapse. It’s the first part of a trilogy and I’m looking forward to reading the next book. In the meantime, a television series is airing based on it and you can sense the Toro-inspired creature designs will be gruesome. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment