My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Shinning by Stephen King [Revisited]

Before reading the sequel to this beloved classic from Mr. King, I decided to revisit the original with a re-read. I mean it’s been twenty-five years since I last read the book. I remembered a lot but there were some details I had forgotten as expected. All I know is having experienced the story again I can say it’s easily one of the greatest horror novels ever written. It’s easily one of King’s top five best. An evil hotel coercing an alcoholic to sacrifice his “gifted” son could be kind of cheesy, but here the tale is told by a master of the genre who knows how to develop characters to embrace and care about. Why is this story so frightening? For one the struggle to be a good father while at the same time fighting ones’ own demons of inadequacy is so relatable. Then there’s the mysterious and spooky gift (or curse) Danny has that gives me goose bumps even now. Add the seductive power of the hotel (like the drink Jack thinks he can avoid) and you have the makings of an emotional supernatural tragedy. Why is reading the destruction of a family so rewarding? I don’t’ know, maybe because in the end while evil wins from time to time, the power of love and hope beats it back again. If you haven’t read this book and only know the story from the watered down version from Kubrick then do yourself a favor and read this book. Grade: A

And with this blog entry begins my annal Month of Horror.  Let the celebration of the macabre continue . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment