My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

This was Krueger’s last stand and the end to the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Sure, Wes Craven’s New Nightmare came out later but that one’s more of a meta-trip than a real continuation. Here Krueger has succeeded in killing every child in Springwood except one. How’s that for depressing? The one survivor is allowed to escape in order to bring someone back from Krueger’s past. I’ll avoid the spoiler though it’s kind of obvious. The first half of this film is pretty bad. It’s a typical ‘80s horror trash, cash grab (yes, I know it was made in the '90s but it's still stuck in the last decade). Find a bunch of young bad actors that you don’t have to pay a lot. Use a lot of visual effects as your centerpiece and let your star (Robert Englund) ham it up. Yet something weird happens halfway through, it starts to get good. I can’t explain it but once you know the back story and they set up the confrontation between Freddy and the counselor, Maggie Burroughs, I was interested again. Our heroes rise to put an end to Krueger’s terror saves this film from being a complete dud. It’s interesting to note (at least for me) that this was Rachel Talalay’s directorial debut. She came up with the story as well. I have to say I actually think she did a good job considering what she had to work with. I wonder why New Line decided to kill one of their more lucrative characters. I can only assume Englund wanted out so he could do other things. After completing this sixth film I can say as a whole this franchise is pretty weak. It’s mostly a nostalgia flashback. It’s worth celebrating if you like cheesy, tongue-in-cheek horror films but if you wish to avoid that kind of style just stick with the first three. Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment