My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

Ben Stiller directs an updated adaptation of James Thurber’s short story which had been adapted before in Norman Z. Mcleod’s 1947 version starring Danny Kaye. The result is beautiful to look at, certainly. You can see the money that was spent on every frame. The big issue for me is the message is so obvious that the journey Mitty takes seems unnecessary. The twist at the end isn’t really that surprising either. There are some very funny moments scattered about the film and a skateboarding sequence that is just too cool not to jump up and take notice. But I just feel that a film that looks this good should have more depth. None of the characters feel developed past being a side joke. Mr. Stiller is a very talented director but in this case I felt he was so involved with making the film look awesome that he let slide the complexity of his character. Still I do recommend it as a fun film, especially for anyone stuck in the rut. It just feels like it could have been so much better. Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment