My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 7, 2014

Birdman or [The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance] (2014)

This is my favorite film by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, a backstage look into the making of a Broadway play produced, written, directed and starring Hollywood actor-- wanting some respect and to be taken seriously as an artist--Riggan Thomson, played by the amazing Michael Keaton, who gives his best performance in his career, the kind of performance that attracts Oscar buzz (Let’s cross our fingers). And of course Riggan has superpowers, why? Because he’s famous for playing a superhero named, you guessed it, Birdman. (Think Batman but as bird, which is ironic since Keaton played Batman.) Or maybe he’s losing his mind from all the mounting pressures. His actress-girlfriend says she’s pregnant with his child. His teenage daughter, played by the scene-stealing Emma Stone, from a previous marriage is there working as an assistant so he can keep her out of rehab. He has a brilliant actor with intense method techniques, played by super impressive Ed Norton, giving him a hard time. And on top of all of that, the most important theater critic in town hates him. With drums as a sound track,Iñárritu takes us on a manic ride through the mind of a man wanting immortality and the various characters around him trying to just be on Broadway. It’s a comedy, it’s a trippy drama, it’s a character study and it’s impossible to describe in a review so just see it. I think so far it’s the best film I saw this year. I would be shocked if it doesn’t get nominated for best picture. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment