My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, November 28, 2014

Star Wars The Force Awakens (Teaser)

I finally saw the Star Wars Teaser and on the big screen. Here is my review of it. Which is silly because it’s only a teaser; but in my excitement for Episode 7, or officially known as The Force Awakens, I feel like I have to say something about it. If a teaser’s job is to get you excited about a film then this does exactly that. As soon as the Millennium Falcon appears, you know it’s really happening—a new Star Wars film. When it ended the smile on my face was proof enough that LucasFilm succeeded at pumping up my already inflated enthusiasm. Yet it is really short and I would have loved a couple better moments to splice in there. Here’s a breakdown. The voice over: it’s well-written and well-executed. I found it a better choice than using text. It fits the mood of the teaser perfectly. The opening shot: the desert sands and suddenly John Boyega pops up with intense concern. It’s a really great immediate shot that succeeds to jump starting the teaser. Next shot: the ball-like droid rolling across the screen. Yes, I like it. It’s a cool bot and it gives a sense of playfulness that I hope the film makers don’t forget about. Then we have the Stormtroopers awaiting in a flickering light about to jump out of an airship. This is a horrible shot and the moment where I got really worried. Of all their footage, they picked to use this? I guess they’re trying to build suspense but it’s just a pointless reminder that we have Stormtroopers (as if Boyega wearing one didn’t do that already). And the camera work is shaky, and that has me worried too, really worried. Then we cut to Daisy Ridley jumping on a large very-cool-looking speeder and speeding away into the desert. Does this film actually take place in space or is it all going to happen on a desert world like Tatooine? Then we cut to Oscar Isaac flying an X-Wing across water. I wouldn’t call this moment a spectacular one but it’s kind of cool. Again I keep scratching my head. I remember one of the things I didn’t like about Star Trek In Darkness (directed by J.J. Abrams) is that so much of it happened on Earth. Please let there be some actually space in this new Star Wars story. Then we have a great shot as we follow behind a figure stomping through a dark forest. We don’t see their face but know as they ignite their three bladed lightsaber that this guy’s probably not good. Oh yeah, I’m really intrigued now and holding my breath. My hope that this film will be good just rebounded. And then bam! The Millennium Falcon flies through the clouds (again no stars anywhere) taking us on a spin as it dodges blasts from two approaching Tie Fighters; the Star Wars music erupts with celebration and then when it goes black and the title fades in. Thank you cinema gods, we are blessed. Again it’s not a masterpiece but it does what it’s supposed to do and for that I applaud LucasFilm. I like that it didn’t really show any of the characters we know like Han or Luke and instead introduced us to the unknowns. It was especially a smart move to hold back until the end to give us the Millennium Falcon. While I can’t wait to see more, as someone who dislikes trailers for showing too much, I might just stop here. It will be hard but the truth is if there ever was a film that didn’t even need a trailer it’s Star Wars. Everyone will see it regardless. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment