My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, December 5, 2014

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (2014)

Having read the book I can see why it would make sense to divide this part of the story into two films. It also makes sense financially to do it. (Of course there’s always the possibility of other films to be made in this world, believe it or not. So more money can be generated later but you might as well double your profits when you’re hot.) That said, after watching the film, it does feel incomplete. This is certainly the first half of a film with a year-long intermission. That’s not to knock it too badly, for I did enjoy it and as an adaptation it’s pretty good. I would say it’s the worst of the series so far. There are scenes that repeat themselves and I would have liked to have spent more time with the other characters as well, for they will become important later. Finnick for example has an entire back story shoved to the side as background noise. Still it’s an engaging story with one of the best heroines in movies right now played by one of the best actresses in the business. Jennifer Lawrence is the kind of star you can’t take your eyes off of. She’s a brilliant actress who gives every moment her all. If not for her this would be a far less interesting franchise. Francis Lawrence, the director, feels like he become very comfortable with this world. I’m confident when I watch Part 2 of this story he’ll be making something truly epic. I can’t wait. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment