My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Santa Claus: To Tell or Not Tell (Commentary)

This is my first Christmas as a father.  I don't have any list this year.  What I do have is a question?  Is is wrong to lie to your child about Santa Claus?  He's too young right now but in a few years do I tell him the fantasy as truth and watch when he's five or six or seven years old and he comes to the realization that it was all a prank?  I'm not so cynical as to see the fun in Santa Claus.  There are many positive reasons to make a child believe in something magical.  It's just that someday I'll have to attempt to teach him that the magic he believes in is in him and it's a "real" magic of goodwill and celebration.  Yet isn't it a lie?  I'd rather have a relationship with my son where I'm 100% honest with him so he in return will be that honest with me.  Would I be depriving him of something festive if I tell him that, "Hey, the big red guy isn't real but he's an awesome character to inspire us."  I have some time to think about it.  I'm leaning toward just doing the traditional con but it feel so silly.  Who came up with this tradition anyway? 

No comments:

Post a Comment