My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tamara Drewe (2010)

Based on the comic strip by Posy Simmonds which is an adaptation of Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd, Stephen Frears directs a film that feels really unique.  It has a dark edge to it that's still funny while also bleeding over into drama.  But it's never overly melodramatic.  I felt it had a few pacing issues but I guess that's not fair since I can't really tell you where those places are, and its pacing is what gives it its unique tone.  Gemma Arterton is wonderful as the title character, as the young woman who returns to the small town she grew up to cause a stir.  But for me the two performers who steal the movie are Jessica Barden as Jody Long and Bill Camp as Glen McCreavy.   Its these two characters and the actors playing them that make this movie sing.  Without their story threads the movie would have failed.  But it doesn't and it deserves a viewing from those who will appreciate its British sensibilities.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment