My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Best In Show (2000) -Revisited

I saw this comedy on Netflix and forgot how funny it was.  Christopher Guest and company (responsible for Waiting for Guffman) return to mock the Dog Show.  The result is a memorable mock-documentary with outstanding performances from all involved.  Eugene Levy (who co-wrote the script, or blueprint since much of it is improvised) plays husband opposite Catherine O'Hara who with their Terrier Winky travel to the Mayflower Kennel Dog Show to compete.  Of course this is an ensemble film so they're not the only kooky characters with dogs competing but its their story arc that is the soul of the film.   If you've watched any Dog Show on cable you'll recognize how realistic this film is, which is why it's so funny.  Unless you don't like Christopher Guest comedies then see this film.  Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment