My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011)

An adaptation of the 1973 film with Guillermo del Toro producing, I enjoyed this mystical horror film a lot more than most critics have, which is a shame because I fear people are choosing to skip it.  But I feel it's a very good monster movie with an uncompromising level of scares that had me jumping out of my seat a few times.  The story is about a little girl named Sally who moves in with her dad and stepmother who are restoring an old Victorian house.  But the house has a secret, an opening in the earth where evil waits to collect the souls of children.  I confess I have not seen the original made-for-TV movie but I can't imagine it's as good (although some have said as much).  For me Troy Nixey crafts a satisfying film that's creepy, mystical and exciting.  Grade: A-.

Spoilers:  The creature designers for this movie pull off an under-appreciated marvel, creating demons that are scary and at the same time small.  They could have turned out looking kind of silly or cartoony but they don't, they remain as freaky as their whispering voices imply.  Kudos to the cast too for giving solid performances, especially from Bailee Madison as Sally; this little girl can act.  I have to admit I was disappointed when I heard that Guillermo del Toro wasn't directing but his influence is felt and Troy Nixey does an exceptional job.  If I had to give one criticism is that the opening credits don't fit the feel of the film.  I wish they had kept them simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment