My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Afterlife (2005)

This BBC series is the more horrific version of the US television show Medium.  Dark and nasty at times it explores the psychic character in a masterful and complex way.  Lesley Sharp is the crowning jewel of this series.  Her Alison Mundy is crazy, beautiful and tragic.  Diving deep into her psyche must have been exhausting and the result is a spellbinding performance.  Andrew Lincoln, the skeptic of the show, is brilliant as well and seeing his struggle is ripe with tension.  Mostly what I loved about this series is how cruel it could be.  Many of the episodes play out like great horror stories.  If you are interested in a Medium like show without the touchy-feely-ness watch this series.  It's glorious.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment