My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Easy Living (1937)

Written by the comic genius Preston Sturges, this is one of those classic screwball comedies that somehow keeps its freshness.  A millionaire, J.B. Ball, in a fit of rage tosses one of his wife's fur coats out the window.  It lands on a girl named Mary Smith , Jean Arthur, who tries to return it.   But Mr. Ball refuses and lets her keep it.  Hence a series of misunderstandings about this coat arise causing hilarious havoc for all involved.  Ray Milland and Jean Arthur are wonderful together and as with most Sturges comedies the side characters get the most laughs.  If you like Sturges or classic romantic comedies you can't miss this delightful film.  Grade: A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment