My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, August 8, 2011

The Pillow Book (1997)

Peter Greenaway's film is about a woman obsessed with inking Japanese calligraphy on her body and/or the bodies of others.  This is some kind of art form and she is able to use it for revenge on a family enemy.   I didn't care for this film.   It was slow and the story was as interesting as watching ink dry.  Maybe it's a cultural gap but I think it's because Greenaway focused so much on how to film this movie, technically, then on how to make these characters likable enough to care.  Grade: C+.

I want to make it clear that the nudity in this film did not bother me.  I can imagine some might think it is excessive.  If you don't like lots of nudity in your movies, including male nudity, then skip this film.  If you consider nakedness natural and unoffensive then still skip this anyway because of the bad story.

No comments:

Post a Comment