My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Top Ten Best Christmas Movies

Since it's Christmas Eve, I thought I'd take a moment and list my top ten Christmas Movies, along with a few honorable mentions and three rotten apples that people should avoid as much as possible.  Being the first list of many on this blog, let it be stated now and forever that lists are subjective and constantly evolving, but a fun way to discuss film. 

Top Ten Best Christmas Movies

10. Joyeux Noel (2006)
Inspired on a true World War I story, this is a beauitful movie with real magic and thought behind it.    It's surreal that such an event once could happen. 

9. Christmas In Connecticut (1945)
A fake Martha Stewart type who doesn't even know how to cook must throw a real Christmas Dinner for her boss to keep her job.  Comedy ensues. 

8.  Gremlins (1984)
Cute critter spawns ugly troll-like creatures to wreck havoc on Christmas.  There's not a better holiday monster movie out there.

7. Scrooged (1988)
Okay, there really isn't a bad Christmas Carol movie.  The Albert Finny one, the George C. Scott version, the Muppets musical and of course the original 1951 film all are deserving to be on this list, except my favorite take on Dicken's story is this one starring Bill Murphy.  It's dark and funny and full of surprises.

6. Bad Santa (2003)
I'm convinced that this was inspired on Dan Aykroyd's drunk portrayal of Santa from Trading Places.  It's such a nasty, evil and sardonic film.  God, I love it.  Kudos to Billy Bob Thornton. 

5. The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
This film blew me away.  It is one of the best love stories out there that take place around Christmas. 

4. Elf (2003)
Will Ferrell hits comic gold with this extremely clever and wacky film that plays tribute to claymation Christmas specials of old.  It almost makes me want to have a plate of syrup flavored spaghetti

3. Christmas Vacation (1989)
We watch this movie every year.  (It's actually on right now as I type this.)  It always makes me laugh, whether if I'm watching it or repeating lines from it days later.  Chevy Chase is pitch perfect as the Griswold patriarch trying to fashion the perfect Christmas for his family. 

2. A Christmas Story (1983)
Another classic we watch every year.  Has there ever been a more epic hero's journey than Ralphie's quest for his Red Ryder's BB gun?  Relateable no matter when you were born, this is the Christmas comedy that all others dream of copying. 

1. It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
A perfect film that inspires, makes you laugh and reflect on all that's great about the world. 

Honorable Mentions
The Dead (1987) - Huston's farewell film.  James Joyce will never be represented better
Die Hard (1988)  - Bruce Willis' action adventure a top a skyscraper.  Yippy Xmas for us all.
Home Alone and Home Alone 2 (1990 &1992) - Farce so well done is always deserving a nodd.

The 3 Worst Christmas Movies

1. The Santa Clause (1994)
Parts of this film work but as a whole the story unravels like a badly knitted Christmas sweater.  

2. Four Christmases (2008)
An Anti-Christmas movie that makes you hate the holidays and never want to see a Vince Vaughen movie again.  Yet maybe that's a good thing.

3. The Polar Express (2004)
I'll admit when I saw it the first time on the big screen I was entertained, probably because I love the book that it's based on and I admire what Zemeckis was attempting to do.  But upon a second viewing I was shocked at how bad this movie really is.  All the characters look weird with those unconvincing eyes and badly rendered facial expressions and while I love Tom Hanks having him play all the characters was just a horrible idea.  Just read the book instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment