My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Meet John Doe (1941)

Frank Capra's first Christmas movie before It's A Wonderful Life, Cary Cooper plays a down-on-his-luck, baseball pitcher playing the role of John Doe, everyman and inspiration to a nation, as written by Barbara Stanwyck.  It amazes me that these two performers made this movie the same year they did Ball of Fire (one of my favorite comedies, where Stanwyck and Cooper shine like the true talents they were).  It's kind of a parable in away on how the corrupt can hijack a good ideal, a brave and wonderful truth, and use it for power and gain influence over the meek.  A vaguely disguised modern retelling of Jesus and all the hooey devoted to milking his goodwill.  I also love how a very democratic, liberal film can tie in Christian ideas.  It's like the Tea Party of today except the followers want to help people instead squash health care and other programs that do just that, help.  Oh no, my review just became political, I better stop there.  Only time will tell how I rank this film years from now, and if it will someday make my top ten Christmas movie list, but as for now I was mesmerized by it.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment