My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's A Wonderful Life (1946) - Revisited

This is the third time I've seen this film.  I've always wanted to own it so I purchased it on Blu-Ray and watched it with my wife who hadn't seen it.  I'm still buzzed.  They don't get much better than this.  As perfect a film as they come, masterpiece really is the best way to describe it.  Upon this third viewing I was surprised by how funny it was.  The high school dance/pool scene had me laughing really hard, and I knew what was coming.  James Stewart's reluccancy to visit Mary after she comes home from college still makes me giggle.  I always remembered the darker elements of the film but forgot how skillful Capra was at balancing the humor with the drama.   This is probably why you care about George so much when he's at the crossroads and thinking about ending it all.  You've seen his likeable side so when he begins to act like a jerk it's impossible to hate him.   He's relateable and like a mirror makes you think of yourself, forces you to reflect upon your own life, and how important a piece you are to so many around you.  Then like a tidalwave the most feel-good ending that might have ever been filmed falls upon you.  I loved this movie so much I want to see it again.   Grade A+

Note on the Blu-Ray:  Why Blu-Ray for a black and white movie you ask?   Simple, it was only three dollars more and I might own a screen bigger than the one I have someday and so I consider it an investment.  Both the Blu-Ray and DVD come with two versions of the film: the black and white original and the colorized update.   I have no intention of watching the colorized one.  When it comes to film I don't consider myself a purist but in this regard I guess I am.   It just seems silly to watch a movie with fake colors when the depth and lighting of the black and white is so impressive.   Maybe I'll check it out, watch a few of my favorite scenes, but I'm one of those crazy guys that loves black and white and would enjoy seeing more new films made that way.       

No comments:

Post a Comment