My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, December 27, 2010

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

A rather dull movie about a woman meeting a soldier on the train while visiting her uncle, aunt and niece for the holidays.  The dramatic point of the entire movie hinges on her secret and if she should tell him or not.  Ginger Rogers and Joseph Cotton save the picture from being a complete waste of time and there are a few humours bits tossed in.  Shirley Temple is a teenager and her acting is kind of annoying, although her character isn't that interesting to begin with.   Grade: B-

Spoiler: Her secret is that she's a prisoner and was given a temporally release for the holidays.   Because Cotton's suffering from shell shock she doesn't want to tell him because she assumes it would upset him.  What makes up 85 minutes of drama could have been tossed in the first 20 mintues of a better film, where they deal with his shell shock and work around her prison sentence.  lt would have made for a less melodramatic story with real ideas behind it.   Oh well, I'm sure in the 1940s a woman sent to prison for manslaughter was risky enough.

This is the last of the Christmas movies I'm reviewing this year and I'm hoping Netflix has more available next December.  I was disappointed that Babes in Toyland (Laural and Hardy) wasn't available and that Holiday Affair was also a long await. 

No comments:

Post a Comment