My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

127 Hours (2010)

Based on Aron Ralston's memoir, director Danny Boyle's new film tells the horrific and inspiring true story of a man trapped in a ravine, arm jammed against a boulder.  In what could have been a very good but bland film is instead full of cinematic mojo, celebrating life and a human's complex mind.   James Franco hit a home run in his portrayal and guaranteed himself an Oscar nomination, demonstrating such a wide range of emotions that in someways his performance ellipses the surrealistic style of the film.   I would say its only flaw is that Boyle tries too hard sometimes.  I loved the editing techniques applied through out but toward the climatic moments I would have liked if he had just stayed with the documentary style.   Overall a really good film that everyone should see.  Grade: A-.

Spoiler:  Okay, I know most know what Aron had to do to escape his entrapment but I still consider it a spoiler.  I have to applaud Boyle on how he handled the detaching feat:  gross but not over the top and very accurate and believable.   While watching the movie I kept trying to think of how I'd get out of that situation and every idea I came up with Aron would try it.  It really was hopeless.  Ultimately I'd like to say I would have been able to break the two bones in my arm and amputate it as he did, but I would have probably fainted from the pain and gone into shock.  What an incredible man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment