My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Graveyard Book (Novel) by Neil Gaiman

A review is basically an long drawn out adjective and yet for something this good no list of positive praises can account for the mastery of this work of fiction.  Mr. Gaimen proves to us all again why he's one of the best storytellers of his generation (or any generation).  A riff on Kipling's The Jungle Book, this series of stories about Nobody Owens, boy raised by ghosts of a Graveyard, escalates to a pitch-perfect conclusion.   It's advertised as a Children's book (for young readers) but it's really just a great book for anyone who loves to read and loves stories of mystery, magic and adventure.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment