My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)

The unique Werner Herzog never ceases to impress me with his ability to craft a story that can crawl up into my psyche and leave me bedazzled.  Based on the true story of the Foundling of Nuremberg, Kasper Hauser spends his childhood locked away in a dungeon to then be left on the street to fend for himself by his mysterious keeper.  He can't speak, can barely walk, and knows nothing of the world.  The film moves along at a subtle pace that's just perfect for a seemingly simple story.  But it's the questions the film evokes that prove how complex this film really is.  When the film ended I was left emotionally and intellectually piqued.  Everything about this film is special.  Bruno S. seems as if he was born to play the role of Kasper.  Such a simpleton could have been easily misinterpreted, comical even.  Yet Bruno masterfully finds balance and creates a character that will haunt me for a long time.  I don't know how Herzog does it.  He captures images that live.  Even just some wind blowing through a field of grass is magical or Kasper looking at his reflection in some water inspires.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment