My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Oz (Season 2; 1998)


The brutal world of Ozwald Penitentiary is back in its second season and it’s an improvement.   This part of the HBO drama ran in the summer of ’98 and twelve years later watching it on DVD I think it has aged a lot better than the first season which felt stagy and a little overwritten.   This time around the writers really hit their stride and crafted 8 excellent episodes.   I loved the complex character growth going on with the principals and how they expertly weave all their stories together with ease.   O’Reilly’s cancer fight, obsession over Dr. Nathan and the introduction of his brother drew me in as much as Beecher and Schillinger’s war, which is the story line that keeps me coming back.  God I hate that Nazi.  I am really hoping Beecher somehow finds a way to bring Schillinger down.   
Spoiler:  The only part that that lost me was Simon Adebisi’s transformation from dangerous junkie killer to crazy shaman.  I just didn’t believe it, although Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje is truly remarkable to watch and is still the best character of the show.  Grade: A-     

No comments:

Post a Comment