My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Bates Hotel (Season 1)

There seems to be a new fade going on with television and that’s taking a pre-existing film or world and turning it into a show, usually a prequel. If there’s any prequel worth seeing it is this: who was Norman Bates and what was his mother really like before he killed her? (Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn’t seen Psycho, sorry). Then bring on two fantastic actors to play these roles in Vera Ann Farmiga and Freddie Highmore. What’s especially great about this show is how weird and unpredictable it is. Whether it be the enigmatic Sheriff or the loner big brother or the girl with Cystic fibrosis you never know what’s going to happen next. The monster that is Norman Bates is just getting started and I can’t wait to see how far they take this story. I suspect it ends with Norman bashing his mother over the head with a shovel but these writers might have something even stranger planned. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment