My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, May 9, 2014

The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014)

What an awful film. I had such high hopes for this second outing in this new Spider-man incarnation. The first Amazing Spider-Man was great and I really believed Marc Webb was going to give us a much improved film. I predicted the kind of sequel that The Dark Night was compared to Batman Begins. All the pieces were there: great chemistry with an awesome girlfriend, Gwen Stacey; a new villain being introduced in Harry Osborn AKA the Green Goblin and a cool reveal with Peter Parker’s parents. All of it wasted. This film is so uneven. It’s trying to appeal to kids and also trying to appeal to grownups with mature expectations. Please, can you just tell a good story. Is it a comedy or a drama? Webb and company don’t know so they’re going to blend it all up and force us to take whatever is left over. Jamie Foxx is Electro, the most lame super villain ever. We’re supposed to sympathize for the guy while laughing at his nerdy appearance. We’re supposed to see him rise and then cheer as Peter Parker kicks his ass. Character development is tossed out the window and replaced with future franchise development. Instead of watching the current film, I felt I was seeing a commercial for Sinister Six. Bad acting (Paul Giamatti) mixed with good acting (Sally Field). Awful music, average special effects (or at least below my expectations) mixed with solid moments of character exploration in Andrew Garfield. I don’t know what I hated more about this film: that it so disappointed me or that it could have been so much better. I don’t think there’s been such a classic comic story line wasted like this since X-Men The Last Stand’s mistreatment of the Dark Phoenix. This film was supposed to build off the first film and get me even more excited about this franchise. Well guess what Sony. This film is a franchise killer because I have no interest in seeing this Spider-man Universe anymore. Grade: C

Spoilers
One of the big mistakes with this franchise is the producers hurry to kill off Gwen Stacey. Why do you have to follow the comics, people? You didn’t have to kill one of the best aspects of your franchise. You could have at least developed the Green Goblin first and then killed her in the third film. Now you have to start from scratch and hope the actress you cast for Mary Jane is equally as likeable and compatible with Garfield as Emma Stone was. That’s what annoys me the most. The only character of this franchise that I really loved was her and they killed her. Which leads me to ask the question: does Spider-man need a love interest? Could they just have him fighting crime and that’s it? I don’t know the answer but I sure wish they would have waited another film before discarding her. It’s going to take some prodigious changes for me to get excited about this current version of the Web-Slinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment