My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan [Revisited]

It’s been a while since I read this book but now that The Wheel of Time series is finished with the help of Brandon Sanderson I’ve decided to start from the beginning and re-read the first nine books (which is where I left off some years ago) so I can see how it all ends. To assist me with this massive undertaking (these are big books after all) I’ve turned to the masterful readers Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, who are so good at reading this epic in audio book I’m considering to have them read the entire thing to me. They’re both amazing. But what about Robert Jordan’s first book? I get goose bumps even thinking about it. Here’s basically your classic story of a hero chosen to save the world. Except while Rand al’Thor is our main hero, the Dragon Reborn, Jordan gives us at least four more characters that are just as realized and important. You have Rand’s friends Perrin Aybara, Matrim Cauthon, Egwene al'Vere and Nynaeve al'Meara. We meet them all in their home village of Emond's Field as they live normal provincial lives. That’s until they meet an Aes Sedai named Moiraine Damodred (which is basically a woman wizard), her Warder Al'Lan Mandragoran (her bodyguard), and gleeman Thom Merrilin (a lone traveling entertainer). With their arrival comes an attack of Trollocs (pig-wolf-man-monsters) and dark friends which lead them all on a race across the world to find safety from the Dark One. On their way they’ll meet more foes and befriend others (like a woman who can see the future and a book reading giant) who will forever be linked to their destinies. This is fantasy at its best. The development of world and character is simply phenomenal. Some will accuse Robert Jordan of over-writing (and he does) but who cares when the storytelling is so great. I remember when I first read this book it affected my dreams (that’s how vivid it is). Now re-living it is just as exciting. I can’t wait to keep reading (or listening if you want to be precise). Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment