My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, May 16, 2014

ExistenZ (1999)

Only David Cronenberg could dream up a film like this, a blend of science fiction multi-reality and weird fiction Lovecraft would cheer. The story revolves around an organic creature that allows people connected to it to play a virtual reality detective game. Yet the designer of the game and her biggest fan are on the run from those wanting to kill her, or are they on the run or just in her game? What’s real and what’s not? Is the gun that is made up of organic parts and that fires teeth as bullets real or just dreamed up to confuse you. Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law star and I can’t celebrate this film enough. It’s kind of creepy and confusing and yet never boring. I wouldn’t say this is Cronenberg’s best film but it’s certainly one of his most daring and inventive. If you like his work or films that are willing to push the boundaries of what can happen in a film story, check out this wonderful wacky yarn. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment