My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Dirty Wars (2013)

This documentary criticizes US military involvement in the world. It attacks the President for using drones and attempts to create a sense that America has a corrupt military/political system. From the point of view of investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill, it’s an emotional argument with many indisputable facts. But it’s always easier to fault the powers that be than to highlight alternative solutions. American might have historically helped frame the violence by taking sides and trying to manage other countries’ governments but we’re ultimately doing our best to keep America safe. I didn’t dislike this film and I found it an important debate starter. My problem with this film is it seems more a protest film then a film meant to educate it viewers. I don’t think it needs to be completely balanced but it ignores the real killers who promote terror and destroy and brain wash communities. Sure American doesn’t get an A for how they have handled themselves but what about the hatred America and other Western countries combat every day. I appreciate Jeremy Scahill’s fight and how he continues to share these stories. He’s an important voice. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment