My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, February 3, 2014

12 Years a Slave (2013)

Why is this film going to win best picture? Because it’s just too important a story to ignore, it’s a scar that needs healing and how best to begin the process of healing but by celebrating this work of art. The fact that this is a true account of a free man being chained up and used as a slave is incredibly shocking, but what’s even more horrific is all those he comes across who were always treated as property and never given the hint of freedom he had. This film will make you cringe. It will force you to consider the evils of our society both in the past and in the present. It is hard to watch but it must be watched so we understand as a nation and as citizens of the world that slavery of any kind is evil and destroys all those it touches. Steve McQueen was the perfect director to make this film, his style and way of getting into a character’s nature is hard to do. I don’t know if I think this is his best film to date but it’s going to go down as the film that lifted up his status. Then there’s Chiwetel Ejiofor who is profoundly good. His performance has all the layers of subtlety and intensity that only great actors can reach. I probably won’t ever watch this film again (except maybe with my children when they’re older) but that’s because it is so phenomenal that you don’t really need to see it again. It sticks to the memory and the soul. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment